IV Sedation in Woonona – The Perfect Solution for Nervous Patients
Do you have a fear of going to the dentist? If so, then why not come and talk to us about IV sedation in Woonona? IV sedation, also called conscious sedation or twilight sedation, is used to get rid of your anxiety and control any discomfort during dental treatment.
Is everyone a suitable candidate for IV sedation?
If you’re interested in having dental treatments carried out under conscious sedation, then you’ll be asked first to attend a short consultation. Your will also asked to fill out an online questionnaire, which will give the sedationist an opportunity to determine whether IV sedation is the most effective pain and anxiety relieving option for you or whether it would be more advisable to have treatment under a general anaesthetic under the care of a qualified anaesthetist.
If it’s decided that IV sedation treatment is suitable for you, then you will be required to follow some very important instructions:
- You must bring an adult with you to the dental clinic who can stay while you undergo treatment and drive you home afterwards
- It can take up to 24 hours for the medication to leave your body. During that time, you must not drink any alcohol and it’s wise to stay home and rest
- You must not drive or use any heavy machinery for 24 hours after the procedure
How is IV sedation administered?
The medicine is administered into your body via an intravenous catheter inserted into a vein. It’s used to put the patient into a semi-conscious state to minimise any discomfort and pain. Usually intravenous sedation in Dapto is used in conjunction with a local anaesthetic to numb the surgery site.
Typically patients feel relaxed and in a dreamy state of mind. They report that the time flew by and they have little, if any recollection of having even been at the dentist.
IV Sedation – Do’s and Don’ts
- Wear loose fitting comfortable clothes
- Brush your teeth thoroughly before your appointment
- Continue to take your regular medication with a small sip of water, unless we tell you otherwise
- Do Not Eat or drink anything for 6 hours prior to your appointment
- Do Not Attend your appointment if you’ve been unwell 2 weeks prior to your appointment. Instead, ring and cancel and we’ll reschedule it.
- Do Not Smoke for 24 hours prior to your schedule appointment
- Do Not Wear contact lenses, nail polish or jewellery during your appointment
Is IV sedation safe?
Are there any side effects associated with IV Sedation?
There is a very rare possibility of a patient suffering serious complications during IV sedation and it is best to discuss with the sedationist dentist prior to this intervention.
Please be assured that as a norm, IV sedation when administered by a qualified sedationist, such as Dr Shabbir Kermali is a safe, low risk procedure.